Algebraic Number Theory
Instructor: Michael Schein
Office: Mathematics Building, Room 214
E-mail: mschein at math dot biu dot ac dot il
Office hours: Sundays, 5-6 pm
Time: Tuesday, 12-1:30 pm
Location: Physics Building (202), room 222.
Final Exam: February 5, 2009 (tentatively)
Question Sheet 1 (due Nov. 18): pdf
Question Sheet 2 (due Dec. 2): pdf
Hints for Question Sheet 2: pdf
Question Sheet 3 (due Dec. 23): pdf
Question Sheet 4 (due Jan. 13): pdf
Question Sheet 5 (optional): pdf
Solutions for Question Sheet 5: pdf
All these books should be available at the Mathematics Library.
- Number Fields by D. A. Marcus.
- An excellent introductory text that proceeds more slowly than the others listed
- Algebraic Number Theory by A. Fröhlich and M. J. Taylor.
- Algebraic Number Theory by J. Neukirch.
- Problems in Algebraic Number Theory by M. R. Murty and J.
- A textbook originally intended for self-study by students who
did not have access to an organized course. The book consists of problems,
with solutions given for most of them. I highly recommend solving as many
of them as possible.
will assume a basic familiarity with Galois theory. Lecture notes (in
Hebrew) on this subject by Moshe Jarden may be found here.
not aware of any publicly available material in Hebrew on the subject of our
course, but please let me know if you find any.